Quite original 16H's
|Back to change notice|
Previous on the website, much attention was given to the remains
found by Richard Payne in Belgium of an original 2nd Division British
Expeditionary Force motorcycle, complete with battle damage.
Machines are shown in sequence of built dates.
Original combination frame 101901 and engine 93445, a machine from contract C3139, assembled March 1939, found near Stratsbourg France 2021 but history not known. All parts still present are clearly original. Original paint shows the pre-war Service green, used before the KG3 paint was introduced in 1939. It also shows the narrow toolbox and HF935 Horn and a CVC regulator for the Ni-Fe battery.
Matching frame and engine numbers W1576, part of contract C5109 built Oct 1939 surfaced in Brittany, France in 2022. In the same family since 1945 as far as known. Based on parts present it is still quite original except the front fork which was replaced by grandpa using an even earlier fork based on the Service green paint on it. This machine was originally painted in KG3. It has the wider type toolbox, a change expected to have taken place mid 1939 as is the application of the HF1235 horn. Terry Saddle as indicated in Norton administration. The original 1939 dated lead acid battery still present. Silencer not original. Restoration in progress.
A collage of the bike with frame W4216 (non-matching engine), part of contract C5109, built late December 1939 showing various details on both painting and construction. The bike shows the crossed keys insignia of the 2nd Division BEF on both front and rear mudguard. Rear mudguard rear lower portion, front lower portion and frame cross tube show evidence of battle damage. Original rear and front tyres produced in November 1939 of which the rear one also shows a gash, most likely made by the same objects slashing through the mudguard. The torn rear tyre may have been the ultimate reason the bike was left behind on the continent in 1940. The M/C also shows clear evidence of a camouflage scheme with likely KG3 and a darker colour and a typical gas indicator paint patch on the headlamp.
Matching frame and engine numbers W19518 made on contract C6653 in mid 1940 in the "as found" condition in Greece in 2009. Most of the parts still present despite the obvious civilisation that has been applied by a previous owner. Nice details are the original 1940 battery and the intermediate speedo bracket as introduced after the central mounting, but found to flimsy and eventually modified with a bigger lobe around the left hand grease nipple.
Late war W90883, matching numbers, Contract S5161, late 1944, early 1945. Not fully original but still provided with some (very) late war details. Sidewelded oil tank, pressed steel tappet cover, mudguard fitted rear light, no steering damper and steering head nut closed off with rivet. Front mudguard bracket to front fork modified to lift the front of the mudguard upwards to reduce possibility of clogging of mud and subsequent handling problems. Most important change, the use of a 7/8th inch handlebar with the standardised BSA levers.